Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Rain in Spain Stays Mainly on the Plains


Just because My Fair Lady is one of my Audrey Hepburn favourites, because my companion is from Spain, I am from the plains, and it hasn't been raining but it sure has been snowing a lot. Killing 5 birds with one stone. Boom.

This week has been really really good. We have been finding new investigators on the square and from teaching center like crazy. Here we always have so many new investigators because we are a very finding centered mission and sometimes it's a little difficult to stay organized and find the time to keep track of all of them but it is a huge blessing that we have the opportunity to share the gospel so frequently. Many of them follow through and meet with local missionaries, and yes quite a few have been baptized these past transfers, and also many don't. But lately, the conversations we have been having and the people just feel very prepared and just very much in tune. I love these people so much, even just after one conversation. And I am so excited for the future that is ahead of us all.
She's going to kill me, but my District leader from Brasil had her wisdom teeth out this week and we were on exchanges and she didn't have one of those cool ice packs so we made one ourselves. :)

I wanted to share something that I really liked from a General Conference talk I was reading during personal study the other day, The Pleasing Word of God by :

The key words are “turn away … from doing thy pleasure,” or in other words, doing God’s will. Oftentimes, our will—shaped by the desires, appetites, and passions of the natural man conflicts with the will of God. The prophet Brigham Young taught that “when the will, passions, and feelings of person are perfectly submissive to God and his requirements, that person is sanctified.—It is, for my will to be swallowed up in the will of God, that will lead me into all good, and crown me ultimately with immortality and eternal lives” 

Okay. Eating natural food, letting your hair grow out to its natural color, living in the woods without electricity...that's not what the scriptures mean when they speak of the natural man. Thank goodness, because I really dig all of those things. The natural man is the one who is unwilling to follow God's will. Who puts the things of the world before the things of the Lord. I'm going to be honest, it's one of the most difficult things in life, rising above the natural man, because we are material girls and boys living in a material world. But we really gotta watch what kind of passions and desires are really motivating us. The promise that Brigham Young gives, that a person is sanctified, made holy, and crowned with immorality and eternal life, is a pretty incredible promise. You'd think that would be enough motivation for us all but sometimes we lack the strength to rise above it all. I look forward to the day when we really are able to rise as the Savior did. Love Him, love you, have a wonderful week all.

Xoxo,
Sister Cox
Scary protests in the street the night of Inauguration. It was SO LOUD and so angry. Felt good to be safe inside of Temple Square. 






No comments:

Post a Comment