Monday, October 23, 2017

Fear and weakness in 3D

Yellow 

We had really awesome lessons this week even though, half of our investigators/less active members bailed. Our ratios for lessons set up to lessons actually happening is about 6:3 so it's a solid 50% that all of the people will come to our appointments. Haha not too shabby. Just need to book up our days and prepare for the best:) 

We will hopefully be taking a trip to the temple/visitor center in Oakland with a bunch of investigators and less active members and members on Saturday. Should be good.
The Branch here is tiny and the person who was supposed to teach Sunday school wasn't there so we taught and the lesson was the Law of Chastity. But it totally wasn't awkward. Actually a great lesson, everyone was super involved. We would be nothing without the spirit, holy cow. I seriously know that God gave us the commandment to reserve our abilities to create life until after marriage for a sacred purpose. And wow has it blessed my life and my family's life as well. Shout out to my siblings and parents for getting married in the Temple and for being able to maintain their marriages through the tough times. 

We had an awesome Zone conference this week and here are some thoughts and noteworthies: "we don't need to be forgiven of our weakness. Our weaknesses are given so that we can be humble and learn to rely on the Lord."
Something I needed to hear and I think we all need to hear sometimes. To compare it to gymnastics, I grew up with it as part of my life so it's fun to relate it to the gospel. It was easy to get caught up in feeling self critical for the weakness I had in not having the natural strength on the bars or the ability to have no emotions while on the beam so I could just be focused, I WANTED SO BADLY NOT TO GET NERVOUS in front of a crowd! I felt those were the things I needed to change. But in essence those were my weaknesses. The things I would need to "repent" of would be, not doing the workouts during the week to give the strength I need for bars, or practicing the routine enough times so when I am in front of the crowd and the nervousness hits, I can rely more on muscle memory. 
I have felt these things on a mission a lot as well. The weakness I have in not being brave enough to talk to every person I see about the gospel, or my inability to be consistently full of energy in the morning. But I can strengthen my faith and rely on prayer to overcome my fears and I can go to bed early to be able to be better at waking up on time. There are things we can control and things we cannot. But the most important thing is to rely on the Lord.

President Hunt also shared about how Satan has a 3D attack:
  • Destroy 
  • Distort 
  • Distract 

He sneaks up in the most unobvious ways. Watch out for him and read your scriptures and pray everyday this week okay? I love you people and don't want Satan to sneak attack you. I WILL NOT LOSE YOU.

In the spirit of Halloween we and our roommates have been hiding a massive plastic spider everywhere around our apartment (in our beds, in the pizza box in the fridge, in the shower, etc.) and it finally doesn't give me a heart attack anymore. It's fun. 

But to end here is a good scripture that I put up on the door before leaving everyday to go do the Lord's work: 

Job 31: 34 ​"Did I fear a great multitude, or did the contempt of families terrify me, that I kept silence, ​and​ went not out of the door?"

And to answer that with another scripture Isaiah 41:10:

10 ​​¶ ​​​​Fear​ thou not; for I ​am​ with thee: be not dismayed; for I ​am​ thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Have a great week everyone! 
FYI I will have one more week here in San Jose and then will be heading back to Salt Lake City on November 1st.☹️

Love,
Sister Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment